Get out your recipe book because May 17th is world baking day! To celebrate the Tevra Team put together a list of their favorite pet safe recipes! Many members of the Tevra Team love to bake and involving our pets just makes it more enjoyable. Whether you have a dog or a cat these recipes will be sure to please them and maybe you too! Many of these recipes originated from other sites so we’ve linked back whenever possible.
Mini Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
This recipe is one of my personal favorites to bake for the dogs in my life, sadly I can’t get my cat to eat it! I found it on The Almond Eater’s blog and I bake it whenever I have an excuse to!
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 egg
- 1 cup honey (preferably raw)
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt*
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease two 4″ cake pans with a bit of coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- While coconut oil is melting, whisk egg, honey, pumpkin, applesauce, peanut butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Last, stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into the two pans, pounding them on the countertop a few times to the batter lays flat. Place the cake pans on a baking sheet and the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake cakes for 20-30 minutes**, or until a toothpick comes out clean or mostly clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the pans for 10 minutes before running a knife along the edges and flipping them over onto a cooling rack. Wait until cakes are completely cool before icing.
- For the icing: stir yogurt and peanut butter together
- Assembly: slice the tops of both cakes off (the “dome” part) and then lay the cut edges together, placing a bit of icing in between. Top the cake with additional icing. Additionally, if you want to cover the entire cake with icing (rather than just the top and middle), just double the icing ingredients.
- Top the cake with cheese to make your pup’s special day that much better!
Homemade Cat Treats!
Courtesy of a very helpful article on sortedfood.com this is an easy recipe that your cat will love! You can even add a bit of catnip to entice your cat further!
- 1 10 oz can Tuna or Salmon
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- Drain your canned tuna and reserve about 3 tbsp of the liquid.
- Dump your old fashioned oats into a food processor or blender and pulse until powdery.
- Add the remaining ingredients in and pulse away until it forms a ball of dough.
- If it’s too sticky, add more flour. If it’s too dry, add a bit of water.
- Roll your dough until it’s about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a fish shaped cookie cutter cut out the treats.
- Add in details such as eyes with a toothpick and with a small knife, mark on the fins.
- Bake for about 20-30 mins until they turn slightly golden and are quite crisp on the outside.
- If your cat prefers harder treats you can bake them longer.
- Let them cool completely!
We have an entire article about the many varieties of dog-friendly cupcakes out there. Rather than list them all out I’d advise anyone who loves baking and their dog to give that article a read and make a few batches of pupcakes for their dog!